Monday, November 10, 2008

Lockdown

By order of the Ottawa County Health Department, the college will be closed until Wednesday morning. 400 peole have gotten sick so far. All of the academic buildings are locked, and our keypad access has been disabled. The office is off limits while cleaning crews try to kill off any lurking viruses. So while I have plenty to do, most of what I need to have in order to do it is behind locked doors. Times like these call for a bike ride. I don't know what the cold weather equivalent of "mad dogs and Englishmen" is. Perhaps sled dogs and Laplanders? It wasn't bone chilling cold, but there was still snow on the roof line when I returned. It takes a few rides in the cold every year for me to acclimate. And apparently I am not afraid of being labelled crazy.
I probably wore more layers than were strictly necessary. In spite of evidence to the contrary, I don't like being chilled. And I put hot water in my water bottle -- which was cold but not frozen by the time I reached my turnaround spot. Sand in the parking lot has built up enough to make it somewhat tricky trying to ride in and out of the State Park. I was not the only one there watching the waves crash on the pier, but I was the only one who had gotten there on a bicycle.

No comments: