Monday, December 10, 2012

Philosophically Challenged

Quiet has always been my sound of choice. On a bike there is always plenty to listen to -- even an expensive wheelset makes some whirring noises, whether it is the blades whispering or the sound of the tires on various types of pavement. I love those sounds. A wheelset through fallen leaves is a symphony to my ears. I've never understood those riders -- and there are many -- who plug into music while on a bike. To me they're missing one of the nicest parts of the ride.
Sooo...... Today I figured out how to work the Ipod that I inherited from the G-daughter when she graduated to the Ipod Plus a few years ago.  And I stayed to the right on the paths, and to the left on the streets, and only used one earbud.  Since the device is loaded with the G-daughter's music, I started out listening to a radio station.  Did you know Bing Crosby is still singing Christmas music?  I eventually fumbled my way through some other options, and by the time I reached mile 3.1 or so, I'd discovered the shuffle option.  It did indeed make the time go faster, though I'm still of the opinion that if you need to play music in order to endure an hour of exercise, perhaps you should find another form of exercise.  4 miles.

9 comments:

Jimi said...

Isn't that Bing Crosby music recorded? I heard he'd left the building.

I like quiet, too. My walks in nature are unaccompanied by music, even "The Sound of Silence," that old classic by Simon and Garfunkel.

Word verification?

Retired Professor said...

Jimi -- I thought Bing had left us as well.

You missed a line in my last post -- the last line, in fact. The comment section of my old posts were getting spammed daily, with the spam comments emailed to me. The only way I know of to stop them, short of shutting down the blog and going private, is with word verification.

Jimi said...

Spammers are vermin. I guess you had to do what needed to be done. I can live with it.

Retired Professor said...

I'll trying removing the word verification in a few months and see if they've moved on. Vermin is a good word for them.

Gino said...

I found that the spam was sometimes attached to very old posts. No one was reading those old posts but I still felt violated by the vile nature of some of the spam being attached to MY STUFF. On the very old posts I found that I could not even delete the spam without a very long and convoluted process. Lots and lots of work for me, a huge hassle . . . word verification on the comments.

4 miles seems excessive. I always stopped at 3. If you are not careful you will find yourself running Grandma's Marathon.

Retired Professor said...

Gino -- I'm just glad there's a tool that works. It creates a barrier to comments, and I've been frustrated by it on occasion. The world is what it is, though.

I have a plan. Grandma's Marathon is not in it.

BDE said...

I noticed something: if the number is the blurry part, don't type it in at all and if the "word" is right, it gets posted. I've tried it 3 times now and it's worked every time. On you blob, RP, I find the letters to be easy to read. So, no problem here.
Great post (poetic at times).

BDE said...

sigh I meant to type "on your blog". As far as I know you do not have a blob.

Retired Professor said...

testing BDE's method