Timing is everything. I rode down to the State Park late this morning. This is all that I expected to see.
There were more people lined up along the pier than I expected, a lot of them with cameras. They clearly knew something that I didn't.
There was a really, really big boat leaving the harbor. Kayak for scale. The freighter was riding high in the water, a sure sign that it was empty. I assume that means that it brought something in, rather than having picked something up to haul out. Possibly coal for our (soon to be replaced) coal burning power plant located near the River Avenue bridge.
Here's my best attempt to get a photo of the whole thing.
Not everyone who was there was watching the freighter navigate the channel. At least one woman was there to capture the blue sky and blue water on canvas.
It was chilly, especially after the heat wave of mid week. The new yellow jacket over a long sleeve base layer was plenty warm enough once I'd warmed up. The Am-Fib tights might have been overkill, though. (Anybody else watching the America's Cup yacht racing? Or flying, which might be more accurate. I checked The New Zealand Herald online yesterday, the major newspaper on the North Island. They're trying not to sound overconfident, but they are starting to plan where they might put The Cup venue for the next one.)
4 comments:
I personally am looking around for my Team NZ cap.
Team Emirates is clearly superior to Oracle on the strategically crucial upwind leg. Not even close.
The Cup is going back to New Zealand.
I think that a lot depends on what boat design the new defenders decide upon for the next challenge but are they thinking of the Hauraki Gulf again?
I don't know where my cap is, but I have a great Team NZ vest. Wrong sponsors, of course.
The location will almost certainly be Auckland, assuming NZ wins. From what I've read, if they go with the current boat design, they'll have to sail in the Hauraki Gulf. But it's a dangerous design. A guy died during the training races -- I gather that's where the helmets and the heavy padding comes from.
Love the pictures as always. It is always cool watching those big freighters heading in or out. Looks like a nice day for a bike ride. Thanks again for dinner last night.
OSLO
OSLO-- I'm glad you enjoy the pictures. I have fun looking for something that's interesting enough to take a picture.
Dinner was good, except for the shrieking child behind you. Thanks for joining us!
Post a Comment