Saturday, March 1, 2014

New Camera

I've been thinking about getting a new camera for a while.  I've had my Canon Elph for quite a while - years and years, and it has been a good camera.  It has some features that don't work the way I'd like, and it seemed like time for an upgrade.  JB and I looked around some before Christmas, but I couldn't settle on any one camera.  This week my brother TT arrived with his new camera, and it seemed to have all of the functions I was looking for, in a very light package, at an appropriate price for a camera that I plan to carry in my pocket and on my bike.  TT, NCW and I went to Best Buy a few days ago to buy one, only to find that that specific model was no longer available, nor was the newer version of that model.  No big deal, life's like that sometimes.  First world problems, etc.


After TT and NCW left on their road trip, I told JB about the camera shopping experience, including the story about how there was a version of this same Nikon CoolPix camera that was available, but with wi-fi, and thus a little more expensive. I reasoned that I'd never use the wi-fi function, being a Muggle, and all.  JB pointed out that we have done this sort of thing before, and eventually regretted it.  Texting function on the cell phone?  Don't need it.  (Wrong.)  Voice mail?  Nah.  (Wrong again.)  Caller ID?  Nope.  (Wrong, very wrong.)  Video camera on the computer?  Well, you get the idea.  So we made a trip to Best Buy this morning and bought the camera.  I'm still learning my way around the controls, but it is way nicer than my old camera.  Here are a few photos I took once I figured out which language it will speak to me, and what time it is.






The Macro function seems to actually work on this camera, and it seems to handle glare better than the old one did.  I decided that I don't really want the date and time printed on all my photos, so I disabled that for now.  The zoom on this one is amazing (the fisherman and his boat were on the other side of our little lake), and it takes pretty decent photos inside, in low light, without a flash.  I'm pretty happy with it.  Now I guess I have to figure out how the Wi-Fi function works.  And I'm really glad -- for now -- that I didn't get the one with GPS.

2 comments:

OSLO said...

Nice pictures. Always fun having a new camera. Love the warm pictures with all that color, pretty water and green. Thanks again!


OSLO

BDE said...

I am glad you disabled the time and date on the pics. That always annoys be as I feel it takes away from the beauty of the photo.

JB is a smart man. Great examples; I also thought I didn't need all those features that I now appreciate greatly.