This should probably go on the food blog, but I haven't been doing much to blog about outside of some occasional cooking. Yesterday, the first day of this winter storm, I made a pretty tasty beef stew. Today I was going a little stir crazy, and after mopping floors, shoveling snow and walking around the neighborhood, I decided to save the left over stew and make some scalloped potatoes for our evening meal. No recipe, just a process. The ham was from a nice one, I bought it sliced for Christmas dinner.
Butter an ovenproof bowl with a lid, add some sliced onions.
Slice up some potatoes, add them to the bowl, add a little salt and pepper. (With the ham, it doesn't need much salt.)
Dice up some ham, layer it on top of the onions and potatoes.
Add some shredded cheese. (This is Monterey Jack.)
Heat up a cup (more or less) of milk, whisk in a couple of tablespoons of flour, pour half over the layers in the bowl. The process I learned as a kid was different -- at this step some flour was thrown into the bowl on top of the ham. (And there was no cheese. Maybe no onion, either.)
Repeat the above steps, adding a second layer of onion, potatoes, ham, cheese and milk. Add some butter if you're so inclined. Season to taste along the way.
Cover the dish, bake in a 350 degree oven for 55 to 60 minutes or so, remove the lid for another 10 or 15 minutes, until the potatoes are fork tender, and the top is brown and a little crusty. Let it sit for a while to cool. Serve with something green.
JB's review: "Pretty tasty."
4 comments:
That second to last photo looks VERY tasty. Yum. And perfect for cold weather.
I had our final Shower Planning Committee meeting tonight and it was fun. The P-ster and Emily's friend Desi and I have a wonderful afternoon planned for Jan 31st. I am glad you are coming (if all things align properly).
Looks tasty and also not even a tiny bit like the old family recipe.
Cheese?
And we never had enough ham in the house to allow for putting that much into a potato dish. On the other hand there was almost always plenty of potatoes.
Looks tasty.
YUMMMMMMMM! PEGGY
Yum! Looks delicious. And who doesn't like a combo of ham and cheese? That always turns out well.
Post a Comment