Recently the weather station on our deck reported a temperature of 91 degrees -- and that was "cooler near the lake." It's the season for that, I guess, but I am not a fan. This week we've taken to walking on the beach in the morning instead of through the surrounding neighborhoods, on the theory that it's cooler along the water at that time of day. Our canine companion doesn't necessarily agree.
Temperatures along the lakeshore were still in the low 80's at midday on Wednesday, and I went out for a bike ride. With inland temps in the low 90's, my route was an out and back on Lakeshore, the closest I could get to the water on my bicycle. Well, except for this:
There were car issues that needed to be dealt with that day, so it was a short ride. I made it home before the car repair place called to say that they needed to order a part. So it goes.
An evening walk around the neighborhood in that hour before sunset is one of my favorite parts of summer. We need to watch out for four legged pests, though. This guy was snacking on landscape plants -- hosta, in this case -- and had no fear of the humans who were tiptoeing past him so as to not disturb him. It seems like someone should have at least thrown a rock at him.
The neighborhood deck was full to overflowing when I walked past it just before sunset, but there was plenty of viewing space available at home.
I'll be trying to do a little more blogging next month, as there are plans by several members of my Minnesota family to visit us here then. I do like to use this space to record those kinds of events, so consider this a first reminder to check this space in August.





3 comments:
That vermin positively calls out for some special season of some sort, rocks would at least be a start.
I don't know if I want to throw rocks are something that has antlers. What if it responds by charging in my direction? Still, vermin.
Emily, You have a valid point, though it's not widely reported as a problem with deer. Maybe during rutting season for males, or if fawns are around. Those antlers are still covered in velvet, but could likely do serious damage. I'll keep my distance.
Post a Comment