I knew that the big old maple tree on the edge of our dune, that gives us shade every afternoon, had a problem. Too many dead branches, all on the same side of the tree. Until the arborist came by and checked it out yesterday I held out hope that it might be treatable, but no such luck. It has a root fungus and presents a moderate risk of falling into either our house or the one next door. It will only get worse, so arrangements will be made to have it removed. The news made me very, very sad. I know, getting emotional over a tree isn't entirely rational, but it is what it is. The other trees on our property are all healthy he said, and aside from needing some trimming and perhaps some feeding, are in good shape. My next door neighbor, whose father planted the tree, was philosophical about it, saying that it has been a lovely tree for a long time.
Worse from the angle shown below.
Today I knew I needed a bike ride, and as usual had a hard time getting started. By around 11 I had loaded the bike in the car and driven to Ransom Park -- since the PSPS is apparently too far away for me to get to from here, I started closer.
So a 16 mile ride became less than 12 miles. But there was a diet red pop with caffeine in their refrigerated section, making it worth the effort. It's been a long time since I've had one.
Face coverings are required inside the PSPS, as they are everywhere these days. My insurance company sent me one that matches my Liquigas shirt. I didn't wear the mask while biking, and my helmet straps were fastened while I was riding. As often happens, the bike ride altered my brain chemistry a notch and the world looks a little less grim. But damn, I am going to miss that tree.




7 comments:
That is very sad about the tree. Many good memories of the grands growing up around that tree. It will be missed. I am happy for the memories it has given us. I do like the mask and how convenient that it matches. See you on Saturday.
Oslo
Just how is it that a tree planted by your neighbor's father is now your responsibility for removal?
PSPS. Excellent. Or perhaps as I have been texting people lately, donut, rainbow, rhinoceros.
It’s on our property. Apparently property lines were fuzzier 50 or more years ago. It’s been our tree for 23 years. My property, my call. There’s a lilac bush at the base of the stairs, our property, planted by Marty’s dad also.
Great post, albeit very sad about the tree. It will be missed.
I like the matching face mask. Wireless gave me several new ones today so I can match masks to outfits now. A small pleasure.
Code Red!
Barbara -- The fashion statement aspect of masks hasn't been adequately explored. Nikki has a source of some nice ones through her work -- antimicrobial fabric, fairly breathable. I have a white one and a red one. I use the white one a lot -- it goes with everything. I haven't used the red one because I don't have anything to wear it with. Though I wear a lot of black, and it would work with that. I'm glad masks are finally available commercially, though since I rarely shop I haven't run across any yet. Did Emily get hers on-line?
TO BAD ABOUT THE TREE. LOOK UP WHAT CAN REPLACE IT. GLAD YOU GOT OUT FOR A NICE RIDE P
I got mine mostly online, yes. Gap/Old Navy make nice ones that come in 3 packs. We also like the ones from Vistaprint.
Shame about that tree. But new memories will grow on your deck even after the tree is gone.
Post a Comment