The air this morning was crisp and cool, very October like. LH and I have been talking for a while now about a hike from Pine Bend Park to Hemlock Crossing Park, a round trip of over 3 miles. And it is a hike, not a walk. It was the most people I have every seen the trails back in those woods along the Pigeon River, lots of them young kids. Usually we hike there in the spring and fall, so it was a little different to see it in early August. Here are a few photos from my little red camera.
This last one is a little hint of what is coming -- red leaves showing up on trees that have been stressed over the summer.
The other event of note is the arrival of JB's grave stone. It's been a couple of months since we finalized the details on it, and it was nice to see it finally set in place.
It isn't unusual to see a grave with the name of a living person on the stone, but when it's your name, it is an odd sensation. Though getting to design your own monument, as it's called in funeral circles, has its advantages. The girl designed the dune grass on JB's side, mine has a lily.
The back side of the stone. The government provides plaques for markers to veterans free of charge. Paperwork is involved, but the funeral home handled most of it for me. There are several of these in this area of the cemetery.

6 comments:
I like the pictures. Looks like a beautiful spot for hiking. The stone did turn out exceptional. I will second that seeing your own name on the stone is odd. It has been almost 12 years now, and I am still not used to it.
Oslo
All the photos are lovely in decidedly different ways. Beautiful wilderness, and the stone really is nice. Fitting dune grass and lily decorations. Although I agree that it's odd even for me to see your name there.
Thanks, Emily. The thought that went through my head as I contemplated my presumed final resting place was, “Now, that’s downsizing.”
I like all the shadows and reflections in the lake and woods pictures. Must have been a great walk.
I think John would approve, it's a beautiful stone and a fitting tribute to a good man.
Thank you, NCW. That’s exactly what we were trying for.
Post a Comment