Sunday, December 20, 2020

Trees and things

 The arborist has set January 5th and 6th for the removal of our much loved maple tree next to our deck.  It's been a backdrop for many summer photos of reading, sunset watching, dancing and other hi-jinks, but there aren't many photos celebrating its dark winter beauty.  So here are a few taken on one of the shortest and darkest days of the year, about noon --




This picture shows the disease at the base of the trunk, as well as how the bark is peeling off from the tree.  This old maple will be greatly missed.


I have no enthusiasm for a Christmas tree this year, but one of the girl's regular customers has been the recipient of several of my hand made masks this year.  She's 84 and has difficulty breathing through a surgical mask.  She wanted to thank me, and this is how she chose to do it -- a Norfolk Pine decorated for the holidays and a nice box of chocolates.  The ornament at the top of the tree is also shaped like a tree -- it's  personalized with John's name and the dates he lived, a gift from Klaassen's funeral home.  

Unrelated thoughts:  One.  My beloved grandchildren currently refer to me as their "bad-ass grandmother" with the girl loving the phrase "digging deep into her suitcase of bad-assery."  The boy has recently begun to refer to me as "one tough cookie."  (In case you were worried.  Alternately if this news causes concern, they are exaggerating for effect, I believe.)  Two.  I have achieved my annual biking goal plus 17 miles.  Puny goal in normal times, but these aren't normal times now, are they?  And One and Two might be related.   Merry Christmas.

3 comments:

Barbara said...

Well, so much to comment on but it is getting late. After a sunset walk and dinner, I wrapped presents and listened to Christmas music. Then I was surprised that it was already 10:45pm. I have evening routines to accomplish now.

Hyperbole is fine with me (I am an expert at it) and the comments of Nikki and TJ amused me but did not concern me.

Love you and the COTUs.

Retired Professor said...

Barbara, Sunset walks are chilly but I did take a walk around the neighborhood about 4 pm, a similar plan to yours. I believe routines are good for us -- it takes a lot of stress out of life to have a few of them in your day.

I'm glad you were amused by Nikki and TJ's comments -- they amuse me, too.

Love you guys, too!

Anonymous said...

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO YOU AND YOUR FAMILY
WE ARE HERE IN AL. WITH TOM AND DARILYN'S FAMILY. I THINK IT WILL BE A NICE TIME I KNOW ONE THING I KINDA MISS THE SNOW NOT. LOVE YOU P & M