Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Monuments

There are a few monuments to the Dutch Heritage of this area scattered around -- mostly downtown. With a brisk wind from the South, and Gino having invoked the Auckland rule (if you don't ride in the wind, you don't ride), it seemed prudent to ride south into town. It was the warmest day yet, 72 when I left, 84 when I returned. The lake breeze kicked in giving me a strong headwind for part of the return trip, but I've learned to expect that. So town it was. This pair represents the early Dutch settlers. Note the 'wooden' shoes. It's in the Window on the Waterfront park, and if you look closely, there is a replica of a windmill in the background. (The real one is fairly close.) I've photographed them before, in the background of some tulip pictures. The tulips are pretty sad looking at this point, all dried up stems.
They aren't quite as far gone in this shot of Van Raalte, an early settler. This statue is in Centennial Park, near Hope. I'm a bit dehydrated again -- not used to riding in temperatures this warm. But I got to wear my Liquigas jersey for the first time. And managed to keep the rubber side down. 16.85 miles.
(Strong winds and heavy seas postponed today's race in Valencia.)

1 comment:

Jimi said...

Ah. It's great to see Dutch flavored "art in the park" from Michigan.

I hope the wind abates there, and that you continue to keep the rubber side down.