First I'd like to take a moment to rant about our weather forecasters. Today's wind was predicted to be
light and variable. I don't think that
gusts of 20 mph qualify as
light and variable. Sheesh. So some of the stretches on the way to Hemlock Crossing were a little challenging. Speeds of 8 mph showed up on my computer now and again. But I had planned to check out the prairie grasses there, for KS. Apparently there has been some kind of burn recently, so I have nothing of beauty to show you. After I rode all that way into winds with
gusts of 20 mph.
No headwind is without it's reward, however. I made the turn towards the lake at the WOOS. (West Olive One Stop, formerly known as the PPS, the Pakistani Party Store.) I felt like I was flying from there to the top of 'Hill' on Lakeshore. An east wind at twenty is kind of fun, when you're going west. The view from the top of 'Hill.'

I detoured in behind Pigeon Lake, still looking for a photo opportunity. Specifically, dux. There was construction going on, and 'men working' had scared the water fowl away, apparently. So I needed a new title for my post. (Summit dux was my original plan.) Less than three miles from home, I experienced an unusual mechanical failure on my bicycle. My water bottle holder came loose, and one of my water bottles hit me in the leg.

Fortunately, I had a multi-tool with the right size wrench, and repairs were made in no time. (It would have been even faster if I hadn't had to compose a photo before I fixed the loose bolt.) I've never had one of those come loose before, and both bolts on that cage were loose. Off again, on again, gone again. Finnegan.
3 comments:
Hey mom,
I only had time for eight miles today, but the ride was nice. The wind was not so bad here. I am sure it was because I was near home. I went to Wesco, the trailer park and some of that nieghborhood behind Wesco. The bike rides so nice. Thanks again. Hope to see you tommarrow night.
P.S. The weather now is calling for a dry but cool blessing of the bikes. Still hoping for the best.
NEFB
I had a bottle cage come loose once but apparently I wasn't as fortunate as you as the fastening bolt was nowhere to be found. I rode home with the cage AND the bottle in my jersey pockets.
If you had arrived just as the workmen scared those ducks away you could have exclaimed "Dere dego".
Thanks for the shot of burned prairie--I have now had the experience of helping a prairie burn, but as there were many green parts and not enough dried-out husks it wasn't so nice and black when we were through. Go back in another couple of weeks and see how vastly different it will be!
Love,
KS
Post a Comment