So it only seemed like it rained for 40 days and 40 nights. The remnants of Ike followed on the heels of the remnants of Gustav, with some plain old rain in between. Today the sun came out occasionally. I pointed Ruby north this afternoon, passing this odd looking bird house perched on a pole entwined in morning glories. (I think.) I'd stopped to take a picture of the apples on the trees, since apple picking season has begun. Most of the real orchards are south of us a bit. The buzz in the office this morning was that the honey crisps are ready. They have a very short season, I'm told.

The turnaround point of the ride was Pigeon Lake. The water levels were higher than normal, but not as much as I'd expected given the 6 to 10+ inches of rain we got this weekend. It was only a bit over 20 miles, and even with a favorable wind, I was a bit knackered by the time I got home. Sigh.

I've concluded that the biking season is over here for this year, and has been for a while. Too much fitness has slipped away over the past weeks. 'Over' doesn't really mean 'over', of course. There will be lots of post season rides, merging into pre-season rides in '09. On a family related note, TOPWLH will have more eye surgery tomorrow. We're hoping it goes as well as the last one. OSLO and the SLO's were here over the weekend. Much of it was spent filling out what seems to be an endless parade of forms. Some were for insurance, and some were for the county's Prosecuting Attorney's office. Victim's impact statements, they are called. The driver of the other car has been charged with negligent homicide. We are about to learn more than we wanted to know about our criminal justice system, I think.
3 comments:
Quite an interesting looking bird house. The morning glories climbing up the pole make it unique.
I don't envy your prospective course in the criminal justice system. It's all way too sad.
TT
Negligent homicide. Yikes. Who ever thinks that term will be part of a family history? I hope OSLO is holding up OK. Good thing she and the SLOs have you and TOPWLT.
Take care,
BB
TT -- Well said. Too sad, indeed.
BB -- I'll pass your thoughts on to OSLO and the SLO's. OSLO keeps busy, and mostly does reasonably well.
Post a Comment