Friday, December 11, 2009

Aftermath

If you lived along the lake shore, the storm seemed to be over dramatized by the TV weather crowd. We got less than 3 inches of snow here, Grand Rapids got 7.5 inches, and a few spots got over a foot. I wouldn't have used the term 'blizzard' to describe it, but it was undeniably nasty for a while. I had lunch with the (not retired) professor today, and she reports winds of 65 mph along the lake shore last night. Our snow plow guy doesn't even show up unless we get three inches of snow. Blowing snow, icy roads and below zero wind chills were still unpleasant, so I stayed inside yesterday and baked some banana bread from the over-ripe bananas I had hanging around. It's the same recipe as my three bowl banana-cranberry bread on the other blog, without the cranberries. I recommend it both for taste and ease of preparation.
We went out to the beach this morning to run water and flush toilets and to check to be sure the furnace was still running, and there is a very tall house taking shape where the (not retired) professor used to have a cottage.

She showed me some of her floor plans -- it is an interesting and attractive house.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

The house looks like it's gooing well. Can't wiat to see what other food there will be tomarow. Can't wait to see you.

Love,
nikki

Anonymous said...

Do the plans include an elevator?

Retired Professor said...

Yes. Starting in the garage at ground level, ending three floors up. A total of four levels.