Monday, October 17, 2011

A Cautionary Tale

A week ago Sunday I took this photo. Nothing spectacular, it never even made it to the blog, until now. To take it, I knelt on my left knee next to the edge of the dune to get the arty 'through the asparagus' effect. In the process, I (unknowingly) planted that knee on top of some poison ivy. Later, given the evidence, I apparently crossed my right leg over my left leg, transferring the poison ivy to the inside, bendy part of the back of my right knee.
I am, as you may know, allergic to poison ivy. I have an ugly blistery rash on both legs -- the one behind my right knee being the most annoying, as well as limiting. It is not fun to bend that knee much at all. (In a bit of an ironic twist, when I was describing my radiation burn to my surgeon, I described it as feeling like poison ivy on top of sunburn. Pretty accurate, as it turns out.) 
That's a long story to explain that today's outing was on foot. Plus winds are upwards of 25 mph, gusting around 35.  My pedometer battery died, so I don't know how far I walked, but I did take the back way to Tunnel Park as well as doing some wandering around my neighborhood.  The tunnel makes a good wind funnel -- I got sand blasted while taking the picture above.  Except for the wind, it's a pretty nice October day here.  (I accidentally checked Grand Rapids, MN's weather forecast, instead of Grand Rapids, MI.  I was horrified to see snow showers predicted.)
One of the things I like about walking is that I notice different things than what catch my attention on my bike.  The red berries, above, are along the hill that leads up into our neighborhood.  I did not put a knee down to take this photo, and no poison ivy was involved in the process.  GOINFS.

4 comments:

OSLO said...

Soooo sorry about the poison ivy. That stinks. Nice pictures. Hate that snow word. Hoping it is still a ways off. We all finished our leftovers today. MMM MMM good. Enjoyed by all. Thanks for joining us for dinner last night.

OSLO

BDE said...

The poison ivy (and the radiation burn) sounds awful. I hope both clear up soon. I am glad you took that walk, though, because that new tunnel shot is gorgeous and PERFECTLY framed. It's my new desktop background. I hated to see that lovely sunset shot from your bedroom go, but this one is more uplifting. Thanks.

Emily M said...

That whole poison ivy experience sounds deeply unpleasant. Despite my years of camping, I have never yet had poison ivy. *knock on wood*

I hope it clears up shortly. The picture it led to is at least quite pretty.

Santini said...

Thanks for all the sympathy... it will just have to run its course.

"Leaves of three, let it be."