I don't ride into town very often. It's a slow ride, too much traffic, too many street crossings, and it doesn't help that I have to ride past the sewage treatment plant to get there. However, today is theme day, and I heard that the theme was bakeries.
This is the best place in town to get banket. (Almond paste in a flakey crust.) Most of you have had the local version of pigs, and I don't know for sure what balkenbrij is, though it may be related to haggis. De Boer's Bakkerij (pronounced bakery) is right across the street from Captain Sundae's, which is right next door to Cross Country Cycle. Location, location, location.
I do not know what the yellow, wooden shoe shaped things on the bottom shelf are. It seems unlikely that they are actual wooden shoes, but I can't imagine any baked goods in that shape, either. Lots and lots of cinnamon rolls for the tourists, and of course, plenty of banket. I was only a mile or so from the bridge into town at this point, and I haven't checked out the condition of the tulips downtown lately. Tulip Time starts Saturday, and the tour buses have been rolling through town for a few weeks already. So I rode across the bridge, then under the bridge, then past the sewage plant, then through Window on the Waterfront Park, and found a few of the traditional blooms along 6th street, near the statues of the Dutch couple.
The tulips are definitely past their prime, but there are still a few nice patches of color. It won't be a total stem festival. In other news, we have a cleaning crew coming to the Bay house tomorrow and Thursday to get it ready for sale, so there won't be much riding or blogging going on here for a while. See you on the other side.
5 comments:
Google translate says that balkenbrij is Dutch for pudding.
The tulips are a little on the frazzled side, but that's the price you pay for an early spring.
I could use a bite or two of that banket with my tea.
Maybe more like blood pudding. Similar to scrapple, I think.
Yuck. Blood pudding and scrapple sound gross. Am I culturally illiterate? What are they?
It's a mystery,
Scrapple: a mush of pork scraps and trimmings combined with cornmeal and flour, often buckwheat flour, and spices. The mush is formed into a semi-solid congealed loaf, and slices of the scrapple are then panfried before serving. Scraps of meat left over from butchering, not used or sold elsewhere, were made into scrapple to avoid waste.
If you are culturally illiterate, it is a form of illiteracy that we all should all try to cultivate.
Pretty tulips. Haven't been there to see it all yet, but prom kept us busy here in Grand Haven. Pictures on facebook.
OSLO
Post a Comment