Thursday, October 18, 2012

JRA

First, the weather report. When I left the house it was 52, with a SSW wind at 16, gusting to 26. When I returned it was no warmer, but the winds had kicked up 10 mph -- WSW at 26, gusting to 36. Gino wrote a ride report yesterday that pretty much covers it, except that my ride was shorter.
Riding in wind like that really is an art of sorts, the key being to hide from the wind as much as possible.  I got as far south and west as the Macatawa Campgrounds where I took the picture of the red tree last weekend.  This is a close up of the leaves, which have faded a bit since then. I think it is a sassafras.
Not much activity to report on in the State Park area.  I had the universe pretty much to myself for most of the ride.  Tunnel Park was the same -- the tunnel is beginning to fill with windswept sand, and there's no one around to complain.
There was some brief excitement this morning when what looked like a gray (but may have been a red) fox took refuge under our deck for a short time.  Did you know that gray foxes can climb trees?  It didn't stay around long enough for me to get a picture of it, nor did it climb any trees.  Since I started this post with a "first", I suppose I need a last.  Maybe I can just do a "to be continued...."

3 comments:

Emily M said...

That is a great shot of the Tunnel Park tunnel. Excellent colors.

BDE said...

I think you have a tunnel series going here. Maybe a recap sometime in November? This one is as lovely as the earlier ones in the series.

Gino said...

I too love the tunnel shot. It looks so, different than how it has appeared every time I have been there.