Sunday, October 7, 2012

Walktober

Biking season isn't exactly over, but I have only biked twice in the past week. It is fortunate that I reached my primary mileage goal in September this year. In other years I've geared up and ridden in cold, wind and blustery weather conditions. (I do have the right gear for cold weather riding, as you probably know.) This year I've switched my exercise routine rather than freeze on my bike. This past week I've grabbed my stopwatch and/or pedometer and headed out the door for a walk 6 times, including this afternoon with the COTU.   We walked about 2 miles, got off the mountain, and did an inspection of the new playground equipment at Tunnel Park since we were close by.
Notice that TJ also has neon colors on his shoes. The girl insisted on wearing her boots, and we harassed her about slowing us down.  TJ likes to throw in some running and jogging in the middle of our power walks -- there's just no substitute for youth.  Except for days like today though, walking doesn't seem like an especially bloggable activity.  My walking routes aren't as varied as my biking routes, for openers.  Also I don't often carry a camera with me.  Which is kind of a shame, because there have been a number of deer sightings this week.
Walking looks like it will remain a primary exercise for me this month.  I started a new program through the college Wellness Program -- remember my water aerobics class?  Well, in September I started a new and different class -- a drier, though not necessarily warmer one.  It's called C2 5K.  (Couch to 5K.)  By the end of week 10 we're theoretically going to be power walking/jogging/running 5K.  Or 3.1 miles for Americans.  We're almost half way through it, and about half the class is still showing up every Wednesday.  (I'm about mid pack -- last week I got lapped by one woman, and lapped another, and opened up a small lead on the other three.  We use the college track.)  The Walktober label came from a second Hope Wellness program, where 4 of my former colleagues -- knowing I'm taking the C2 5K class, and thus assuming I could be depended on to walk/jog/run regularly -- asked me to join their walking team.  We agree to walk for at least 30 minutes, 5 times a week, through all of October.  Teams accumulate points, based on how much they walk, and prizes are awarded at the end of the month.  Can't let the team down.  (We're currently in 3rd place.)  Our team motto is, "when you get to a fork in the road, take it."  Apparently, I am doing just that.

8 comments:

BDE said...

Those boots are made for walking . . .
I just graduated from my Health Partners Wellness program. I had three very useful conversations with a cholesterol coach. I now have oatmeal (not instant) with raspberries, blueberries and nectarine slices for breakfast. Yum.

Santini said...

BDE -- Good choice!

Gino said...

I like the walking team thing, sounds useful.

I don't recognize the location of that first photo, where is this "limited sight distance" location?

And do I note a possible, might I say, hair treatment?

There is still plenty of time to get in a bicycle ride or two, even if you don't actually attempt it until after Walktober.

Santini said...

I liked the team thing, too. 5 current and former accounting profs. I was pleased that they asked me.

The sign is on Perry, heading east towards 168th. Just before the double hill.

Good eye. A purple streak, and several blond streaks. She's a wild rebel, that one.

Biking works well with walking, weather permitting. Not on the same day, but they use different muscles, so they're complimentary. I still have a few bicycling goals -- or sub goals. And I feel oddly guilty when I head out for exercise without Ruby.

Jimi said...

A walking program is almost always more successful if it's part of a team effort. I hope that you move up in the standings. I think you may be able to win the whole ball of wax.

I approve of BDE's breakfast choice. It nearly mirrors my own.

Is that COTU wearing ripped pants???

Retired Professor said...

Jimi -- No ripped pants. It looked like it to me, too -- in the photo, but I was with him, and those are brand new jeans. It's the tree behind him -- magnify the photo, and you can tell his jeans are whole.

Lynne and I are headed out for a power walk later this morning. As soon as it warms up some -- our first hard freeze happened last night. So we'll build up a few extra points for out team today.

BDE said...

Wow, this walking team thing and the picture of your COTU have sure generated the comments. (I want you to have seven comments.)

Retired Professor said...

Thanks, BDE. As you know, I blog for comments. I even have the tee shirt. :-)