Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Bowerman's

Today turned out to be a blue sky day -- paired with a brisk north wind.  You can see the flags flying in the photo below at the recently expanded and repaved parking lot at Bowerman's.  (Does this count as new pavement?)  I had ridden Ruby to the Bay House to check to see if I'd remembered to close the garage door when I left there this morning (I hadn't), and was adding a few miles to the trip to get to the dozen or so that my poor old aching body seems to be able to tolerate.  GOINFS.  I had ridden past their store when I noticed the second sign below the first.  There's a lot to read along this stretch of road, including that U-Pick starts in July.  The big sign got read first, and I almost missed the smaller one below it.  FRESH FUDGE.  Free Tastes.  Now, you need to know that I sometimes buy JB a Bun candy bar on my bike rides.  Buns are made by the Pearson candy company, and are similar to Nut Goodies, which are not available in Michigan, but are his favorite candy bar.  Buns are available at a few Party Stores and the occasional gas station here.  My usual supplier is the PSPS, but I only get up there about once a week these days.
I'll admit that it was the Free Tastes part that made me turn around and ride back, enter the store, taste two kinds and buy one of them.  Bowerman's used to be just a blueberry stand, but has evolved into something different over the past few years.  Honestly, I thought it had more charm when it was just a blueberry stand manned by the high school aged daughters of the Bowerman's.  But time moves on, and now different blonde girls stand behind the counter where they sell a wide variety of foodstuffs.  Including homemade fudge.
It's been a while since I've ridden two days in a row, so today was a bit of an experiment.  I seem to have survived.  That's always good news, right?

2 comments:

Mrs Smith said...

Right. Did the fudge have blueberries in it? I suppose it is too early . . .

Santini said...

No blueberries in the fudge. Yet. The early berries will start showing up next month sometime, I think. The season is a little later than the last few years, but that just means that it should last later into the summer.