Friday, June 14, 2013

Miscellany

It's been a few days since I last put something up here -- we had some rainy weather and I took a couple of short bike rides. I took a few photos along the way -- the first one along 160th where the Township has been actively deforesting our local toxic waste site.
Sometimes, if you turn around, the photo opportunity behind you is as interesting as the one in front of you.  Gray beard jogging.  (I have no idea why Blogger is messing with my sentence arrangements.  Boo, Blogger.)
Today's ride was similar to yesterday's -- north into the wind for a while, inland for a while, then home.  The woods sure are pretty this time of year.
And for a little Friday bonus, here's the last verse of the Finnegan to Flannigan story that GZ hinted at in his blog post the other day.

He wuz shantyin’ thin, wuz Finnigin,
As minny a railroader’s been agin,
An’ his shmoky ol’ lamp wuz burnin’ bright
In Finnigin’s shanty all that night-
Bilin’ down his repoort was Finnigin
An’ he writed this here: "Muster Flannigan:
Off agin, on agin,
Gone agin. --Finnigin."

This poem is in the public domain.


Here's a link to the whole thing: Finnigan to Flannigan by Strickland Gillilan.

3 comments:

Gino said...

What does "Native Forest Restoration" mean?

Santini said...

They cut down the white pine, leaving the tops for habitat. Some seedlings and shrubs will be replanted, but mostly I think they're allowing it to go native. Beech, hemlock, cherry and sugar maple were listed as the native species.

Maybe environmentally accurate, but I'm not at all sure. I suspect skullduggery.

Santini said...

Sorry -- it is the red pine that is the non native. It's natural habitat ends 20 miles north of here, according to the sign. (Really? 20 miles?)