The photos from day three of the 2002 MS TRAM, Lanesboro to Wabasha, have been scanned into my computer. I'm having trouble constructing the narrative, though. Specifically, there are a couple of things that I clearly remember happening during this TRAM, but I can't make them fit on a specific day. So I'm going to delay any further writing until the brain fog clears, or I come up with some way to include these details (minor to the main story but important to me.) So here I am, blogging about blogging. I think there's a rule against that.
As a placeholder, here's a photo of the big lake just after sunset tonight. My plan is to spend the evening watching back-to-back episodes of Dr. Who with my Grandson while Skyping with my Granddaughter. It's what we do.
6 comments:
Unbelievable climb right off the bat, ending at the first rest stop. Very steep, very long. As I recall there were four beasts that day.
The last one had an ambulance parked at the rest stop at the top of the climb.
Long downhill to the river.
Historic old hotel on the river, they let you and LH change rooms to one which had not been finished at the time we made the reservations but which was ready the day we arrived. If I recall correctly you had a jacuzzi.
I'm available for any questions you might have to clarify details. It's my role as staff, I think.
Beautiful, unusual picture of the sunset. I guess it is the late fall lighting. It is kind of soothing.
I cannot help with any details about that Tram, sorry. I sure heard a lot of great stories, though, and look forward to your future posts.
Thanks, GZ. That fills in some gaps. Questions for either GZ or Emily -- Which day did GZ ride out to meet us because he was becoming concerned about the lateness of our arrival? I'm thinking Wabasha, but it could have been the next day. Which evening did Adam visit us? Again, I'm thinking Wabasha, but am not sure. It's a detail I don't want to leave out of the report. Also, does anyone remember where the tacos in a bag were? It was in a park with a lot of other people, afternoon, after the ride. I think it was just Jim, Lynne and I, but not sure. Staff may have pointed us that direction. Or not. Small detail.
I rode out from Wabasha to meet you. Not because I was concerned about lateness but because there were issues crossing the highway about three miles from the finish and because riding my bicycle was what I was doing that summer. A few extra miles was something I was comfortable with doing. I remember describing training for TRAM as reaching a point where being able to, no matter what, if you had to you could after a short sit down ride 15 more miles that you could then ride TRAM. I know that is where I was at that long long ago removed from my current point of life fitness point but that is where I was then.
I am unsure but I think Adam came to Wabasha. That is the only night that makes sense. We were in River Falls the next night and the night after that we were home. And further as I think about it I think the restaurant where we ate that night may have been in the hotel.
I have had more discussion with TOPWLH. She had those tacos. I think maybe you, Lynne and Jim had them right away. I remember a reluctance on my part looking for something without fritos but eventually that is what TOPWLH and I had too. The more I think about it the more I think Montevideo.
Thanks -- I want to add the part about you riding out to meet us to the Wednesday ride report.
Jim and Lynne were not with us on TRAM two. Jim visited us in St. Peter, drove us to Ortonville and picked me up at the end, but he was working that year and didn't ride. So the memory I have of me, with Jim and Lynne, walking around a park full of biker like people, and the memory of tacos in a bag have merged, perhaps.
It's been a long time, but it's sad that those memories, that seemed so important as to be permanent at the time, are slipping away. It's why I wanted to get this down somewhere, to the best of our collective abilities. I'd like our grandchildren to be able to read it sometime.
I think that Tram '03 and Tram '05 deserve similar treatments, but if that doesn't happen, we'll at least have the first one here.
Post a Comment