Thursday, February 19, 2009

Knackered

If the weather channel says there's a SW wind at 6, it seems like a bike ride should be a fine idea. Before we left, I checked the odometer on the Fuji League and discovered that I'd missed the 1,000 mile photo. This bike has been here for just a little over two years. It seemed awfully windy while we were out. So much so that we took a short cut back to the house to avoid a mile of headwind. The weather channel had updated while we were gone. It was now reporting winds of 22, gusting to 30. Jimi was a good sport, but mentioned that it seemed like a harder ride than he'd expected. Me too.

After eating some left over Greek salad and feta fish for lunch, we headed over to Punta Gorda for a parade in honor of the Tampa Rays, whose spring training home is Port Charlotte. Apparently Port Charlotte doesn't have a downtown area that is appropriate for a parade. It was probably the worst parade I have ever been to. And I've been to a lot of parades. Tulip Time does 3 pretty good parades every year, and Idlewood does a pretty good neighborhood parade on the 4th of July every year.

Still, every parade has a stirring moment or two. Marching military personnel always quiets the crowd, which is as it should be.

And fat chicks on recumbent bikes provided for a WTF moment. I have no idea why they were there. We eventually saw a few baseball players, none of whom we recognized. Maybe by next week I'll know more about the Tampa Rays than that they went from last place in '07 to the World Series in '08. I'll keep you posted.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice pictures. I will trade with you. Did not leave the house until karate. Brrrr! it was bitter. I need warmth and sun. Two days was not enough. In additional info. The kids are suppose to get tested March 14. Nikki is more excited than TJ. We will see how it goes. Send sun my way. Talk to you soon.

OSLO

Gino said...

FAT CHICKS ON RECUMBENTS!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

I've been to worse parades. Think Farmer's Day in Bovey. TT