Friday, June 24, 2011

Two Weeks After

It seems hard to believe that it has been two weeks.  Last Friday my surgeon said that I couldn't hurt anything by biking, but she apparently meant a different kind of hurt than the 'ouch' kind.  So I have been a little tentative, riding only the Bianchi Boardwalk, and only for a fairly short time after that first ride, and alternating walking days with biking days.  Today I was determined to try my road bike.  Pumping the tires using primarily my left hand and my body weight worked okay. 100 psi seemed sufficient since I had no plans to race. 

The first half hour took me as far as the Gold Barn U-Pick on Quincy.  Their blues are still green -- it doesn't look like we'll have local blues by the fourth of July.
The second half hour took me here, where the new outdoor shower head has recently been installed outside the kitchen door.  As you can see below, the railing at the new front door provides quite a bit of privacy from the street/garage side of the house. 
The entire ride was about an hour and a half, enough so that I'm a little bit tired.  We'll see in a few hours how much soreness shows up.  The stitches come out on Monday -- probably.  I have regained pretty much full range of motion in my right arm, through diligently doing the prescribed exercises.  My surgeon claims that in six months this will all be just a bad memory.  I'm extremely pleased to be back on my bikes -- nothing like a little bit of flying to make me feel like myself.

3 comments:

Jimi said...

Green blues are a start. At least they're pretty big.

Keep flying.

BDE said...

I am so happy to read these blog entries and to think of you on your bike. Diligently doing the prescribed exercises is an intelligent habit!

Retired Professor said...

BDE -- And I sooo appreciate your enthusiastic support!