I watched the evening news at 10:00 pm last night, and all the bad weather was north of us. About 2:30 this morning, that turned out not to be true any more, and we lost our electricity. (70 mph winds were reported locally.) Fortunately we had a generator installed here when we did the remodel last year. Out in the sticks where we live, electricity is not just lights -- it is also water. We all have wells, powered by electric pumps. No electricity, no running water, no flushing toilets. Very inconvenient.
I had originally planned a bike ride today, end of the month and all, but gave up after only a few miles. Too much debris, and the possibility of downed wires had me a little apprehensive.
We're a small community up here, and our neighbors are our friends. So we had some of this going on.
And some of this.
Who knew that water could flow out of our house and into our neighbors? Not me.
I do get the electricity bit, though. We were happy to lend our next door neighbors enough electricity to power their refrigerator. We spent about 12 hours all told without electricity. The sudden quiet was deafening as all of the generators turned themselves off and we returned to the grid. Lynne and I took a walk this morning and counted 9 generators up here. 9 out of about 100 houses. (Including the people in the yellow house, who had one put in while they were gone those 11 months.) It will be interesting to see our natural gas bill at the end of the month. JB says that we pay less for electricity from the generator, fueled with natural gas, than we do for the stuff we get from the power company. A little excitement, but no real danger. All is well.
8 comments:
I wish I could have been there to hear the generator start.
At 2:30 in the morning, I don't think you'd have enjoyed it. Still, it was kind of fun.
I'm glad to hear that all is well. I know about power outages in rural areas, and they are not fun. Well, maybe a little fun, but not much. A generator is a good investment. PW
PW -- Fun is probably the wrong word. It did pull our little neighborhood together in an odd sort of way. Lynne brought over her coffee pot to make their morning coffee, people check on each other to see if everyone's doing okay, that sort of thing. (There are a lot of old-ish people up here, and a few really old people.)
I'll bet you do know about power outages in rural areas! Ours didn't last long enough to put anyone in danger, so it was pretty benign. Dead of winter, or one of those really hot, hot days....
That's true, there is always a bright side to a "dark" situation, and you obviously are good at making lemonade out of lemons. Good job! It does bring the neighborhood closer together, and that's a good thing. PW
PW-- You make me laugh. And thanks for commenting. I need a tee shirt that says "I blog for comments."
I'll get right on that! PW
I believe you!!!!!
Post a Comment