A feature of the Coast Guard Festival is a mass release of balloon like objects -- each one powered by a candle I believe, which heats the air in the balloon sac, which then rises and floats away. I've never seen this happen, mind you, though many in my family have, including my recent visitor from the northern tundra. So when I found the object in the photo below leaning against my house this morning, she had a pretty good idea of what it was. That's about a 20 mile trip. Also, there was a pink one lying in my next door neighbors' yard.
It was quiet day here -- it was too cool and windy to read on the deck, though we both tried it at different times. Note that Wireless is wearing a jacket.
Soon enough it was time for our guest to gather her things together, dig her directions to the airport out of her bag, and leave the beach behind.
One last photo of her waving as she got ready to go seemed fitting. The time flew by, we all had fun, and we were super glad to have her visit us.
3 comments:
I can recall one night many years ago when myself and some other frosh at Macalester (living in Dayton Hall) assembled some plastic bags from the shirt laundry across Snelling, candles and some balsa wood and set UFOs free into a winter night sky.
As I recall at least a couple of cars on Snelling Avenue reacted as thought he drivers were surprised.
I've heard that some of those floating candles have started fires on roofs where they land. It may be an urban legend, but it sounds just a little dangerous. Are the Grand Haven city fathers aware of the risks?
Gino -- Freshmen. Typical.
Jimi -- I wondered the same thing myself. My first reaction was one of annoyance, because of the fire aspect. Don't know, though.
Post a Comment