Thursday, November 6, 2014

Down Slope

My current approach to blogging is to put some photos up here, then see what kind of words I can fill in around them.  Yesterday's "downhill from here" theme was pretty easy, so it seems like today  I should at least touch on how much of slide there has been here on the down slope.  Definitely some.


My ride log says 46 degrees, winds from the NNW at 17, gusting to 20.  55% chance of rain.  If it was April, heading towards warmer weather (or uphill, if you like), I might not have ridden.  It's within my gear and ability limits though, and this is November.  Any ride could be the last one -- and I assume that you've got the same nasty longer range forecast that we do.  Next week it won't get much above freezing for a few days -- or more.  So I put the fender on Ellie and set out to get some ride time in.


An hour or so on my bike goes by pretty fast.  I could have done without the occasional sprinkles, but it never turned into a real rain.  I even stopped to take a photo of a culvert that runs under the bike path up near the blueberry fields off of 160th near New Holland.  Dunno if that counts as a bridge, but since bridges are just something I'm doing for fun, either way you cast your vote is fine with me.


Workmen were cleaning up leaves in Tunnel Park when I swung through the parking lot to round up my miles.  I was the only person there who wasn't paid to be there.  I like that.  As downhill slides go, this one has a ways to go.

6 comments:

BDE said...

Not a slippery slope yet, at least.

The newest tunnel photo represents a different perspective. What is that building in the background at the end of the tunnel? It doesn't look like the restrooms I remember being there.

Way to go to ride again in November!

Santini said...

"Slippery slope." Nice one.

I agree that it doesn't look right from that angle, but that is the restroom building. Next time I'm there I'll check to see why it looks funny in that photo.

Jimi said...

That culvert is just a bit short of a bridge, I'd say. But you get credit for giving it a try. I think it has to span at least ten feet.

The tunnel looks different without the leaves, but it's a familiar look on the outside with the built up wall to hold back the dune.

Santini said...

I do agree with you about that -- and 10 feet might be short for a "bridge."

Jimi said...

How about 20 feet? 30? We could quibble a while about it. I don't have much to do this afternoon after I play tennis.

Santini said...

I have groceries to put away, and an intense game of Words with Friends going on with Andy, so I have no time to quibble. 10 feet it is.