Friday, November 14, 2014

Ice

The lad I talked to at the sporting goods store this afternoon seemed cheerful about the icy road conditions.  His morning commute was west bound, and only the east bound lane had been treated by the road crews.  My drive in to his big box store was on shockingly slippery roads -- Riley was sheet ice everywhere but at the intersections, I saw a few cars in the ditch and got to check out my anti-lock brake driving skills.  Even so, the morning walks continued.  And once again I was inadequately shod.


Lakeshore Drive, plowed but not treated.  Not much snow, but a sheet of ice underneath what little snow fell here.  (I mentioned earlier that our little woods is for sale.)


Kelly was out of town visiting her daughter and grandchildren, so it was Charlie, Jill and I today.


There was no ice over the septic tanks this morning.  The forecast for the next week looks a little apocalyptic, so I will continue to look for footwear for the daily walks.  Wireless sent me links to three different boots that she's had success with, and I found two styles in those same brands that I liked today.  Neither boot was available in my size, sadly.  I settled on a pair of Yaktrax which fit on my existing boots, so I can continue to venture outside while I continue to look for the "right" boot.

3 comments:

Gino said...

We are reaching the end of a week of high temperatures about 20 degrees below average. This means that the light covering of light snow and freezing rain that we got has morphed into a sheet of ice. It looks like you have pretty much instantaneously achieved the same status.

Winter sux.

Jimi said...

I have a pair of those yaktrax. They work nicely and have saved me many times from slipping and breaking a bone.

BDE said...

Cool. I just watched the video about the yaktrax. Never heard of them before.