Before the Smiths left for home today, Mrs. Smith and I took one more short(ish) walk. Quite some time back I had promised to show her a new flight of stairs to the beach -- the ones from Sunset Bluff to the water.
It felt more like fall than it did like August, but the beach managed to put on a pretty nice show anyway. The last I heard from Mr. Smith was that they had arrived home, safe and sound. We (with OSLO and the Grands) had a final family supper last night that featured Jimi's fish, and there were hugs and good-byes all around. Our house guests will absolutely be missed. Today the girl grandchild planned to pick up the keys to her dorm room for this fall, tomorrow is a big birthday for OSLO (it's only a number, dear dafter), the grandson and I will be helping the girl move her stuff into her dorm this week, and the seed heads are beginning to form on the dune grass. Apparently summer is about over.
1 comment:
I agree that apparently summer is about over. Upon arrival home, the signs are slightly different: the State Fair starts in two days, the air is definitely cool(ish), the rabbits are eating my newly planted rose bush and hostas (wait, is that really a sign of fall or a grievance?) and I have been invited to the Hamline University fall convocation to honor the new president (I will not be going).
I loved the new steps and plan to run up all of them the next time I visit. Thanks for the "final family supper" which is maybe misnamed. There will be many more!
Post a Comment