Friday, March 25, 2011

The process has begun

We got an email from our builder this morning saying that he would leave siding samples at the cottage for us to choose from. It was a ridiculously cold day for this late in March, but the roads were clear and dry, so I layered up and rode my bike out there. At these temperatures (28-30 degrees), the round trip to the beach is about as far as I am willing to ride.
It was also my first trip up the Idlewood hill on a bicycle this year -- always interesting.  I did not need all of my gears -- that felt good.  Here's a view of the back of the existing garage.  The roof acquired a distinct sag to it this winter -- probably from the wet, heavy snow.  So the remodel is timely, from that perspective.  There is a maple tree standing where the new garage is going to be -- that may be the only tree we lose -- at least that's what we hope.  The bushes are forsythia, and I hope to be able to save them and maybe relocate them along the fence line.
 I plan to document some of the remodelling process here, so here's another photo of the garage, from a different angle.  That big bush next to my bike has to go.
Siding color.  We're pretty sure that we don't want this color any more.  All of the siding will be replaced, so that the new addition will match the existing cottage.  That means that we can choose any color we like.
There are two entryway roofs that will have metal roofing, as an accent.  Metal roofing comes in a variety of colors, 'metal' being one of them.  This house has a 'metal' colored metal roof.  Our builder remodeled this house last year -- the owners say they're happy with the result.  In fact, they're planning to have him remodel their house in Grand Rapids this summer.  Sounds to me like they liked the guy. (In a bicycling related note, my hand protection system for today was woefully inadequate.  I was forced to stop, remove my gloves, and put my hands inside my clothing until feeling returned -- again.  This is getting old.  Of course, warmer weather would solve the problem nicely.)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I did not notice the sag in the roof, but I am sure it is there. It is an old garage. I think the metal roof will look nice, I also think this blue vinyl siding in this picture would be nice. Just a thought. Will see you tommarrow with kids in tow.

OSLO

BDE said...

I agree. I like both the metal colored metal roof and the shade of blue siding.
Have fun!

Retired Professor said...

There are three other blue houses within a half block of our house. I do like the blue, but probably will pick some other color. Nikki likes a light gray -- she says it is bluish gray -- for the siding, and a darker blue shake for trip at the roofline, similar to the house in this photo. White banding, and the silver color for the metal roofs over the doors.

BDE said...

I'll come and visit you whatever the color of the siding! That is, if you want me to.

Retired Professor said...

BDE -- Silly woman. Your room will not be touched in this whole process.