Monday, March 7, 2011

Winding Down

Yesterday was yet another day that qualified as "too windy to ride."  Which honestly means to me that it was really, really hard to ride, so I didn't ride very far.  These short rides are messing up my statistics -- specifically the average length of ride number for March.  So be it.  It felt like the windiest ride I've taken yet, and after taking this photo at the beach of a palm tree with its fronds whipping around in the wind, I headed straight back to the ranch.
There weren't many people out and about, though it was plenty warm enough.  It ended up in the upper 70's by the end of the day, and the forecasted rain never materialized anywhere where I was.  I think Ft. Myers got .01 inches of rain -- hardly measurable.

Today I visited a neighborhood slightly south of where I usually ride, and found this (Below).  There's a house with an orange grove behind it -- there must be a hundred trees or so in a couple of empty lots.  They're selling oranges at the curb.  5 Valencia oranges for $1, or 10 tangerines for $1.  They looked like nice oranges, but I didn't need any, and had no way to carry them.  Maybe next year.

I'm making good progress on my list of projects that need to be done before I head home.  I've mailed off my cold weather biking gear to my dafter's house, for example.  The refrigerator is beginning to look a little empty, and the freezer is empty except for one package of corn.  The last trash pick up is Wednesday morning, so I need to take advantage of that.  At this point, it looks like the midweek storm will be mostly rain in my part of Michigan.  Rain on top of snow.  Sounds like a recipe for fog, to me.  Winter doesn't give up easily.

2 comments:

Jimi said...

You're likely to miss Ollie's Pond. I know I do.

Too bad about the wind, but the upper 70's temp is good enough for bare feet and shorts.

Retired Professor said...

TT -- I rode past the pond on my way home today. I may ride that direction one more time, possibly two. Tomorrow is supposed to be windy again. 79 is definitely shorts weather.