Thursday, September 15, 2011

Saugutuck

Today's activity involved some hiking around Saugatuck Dunes State Park.  The description from the website is pretty accurate.... "A day-use park along a secluded strip of Lake Michigan shoreline, Saugatuck Dunes State Park offers 2.5 miles of shore line. The park has fresh water coastal dunes that are over 200 feet tall. The park's terrain varies from steep slopes to rolling hills."


We hiked a couple of the trail loops, spending an hour or so exploring some of the pathways back through the dunes to the lake.  It's a pretty spot, very lightly developed, and today at least, very lightly used.  I imagine it is a bit busier in the summer, but the trails to the beach are probably a bit too long and sandy for families with strollers, kids and coolers.  It's a pretty spot.  I've biked past it occasionally, on rides from Holland to Saugatuck, but this is the first time I've gotten as far as the beach.
Felt Mansion is just down the road -- we spent a little time walking around the grounds there a bit later.  My daughter and grandchildren are here this evening as well -- I gotta say, I'm on the verge of knackered.

3 comments:

BDE said...

I want to go there! Here are some excellent reviews with some suggestions (such as which trail to take to the beach): http://www.yelp.com/biz/saugatuck-dunes-state-park-holland
Nice photos. Busy day!

Gino said...

Verge of knackered?

Santini said...

Gino -- You've never been there? An inch from the wall?