Sunday, November 20, 2011

Numbers

I'll start with the temperature. It was 41 degrees when I rode my bike out of my driveway today. I consider that warm enough to ride, by a few degrees. It is also the exact temperature at which my nose runs more or less constantly. (Blogging hits a new low.) I rode north on Lakeshore until my bicycle computer said 9 miles, then turned around and enjoyed the tailwind on the way home. I took my camera, but took no pictures. I saw two other bikers while I was out, if memory serves.  So it seems the season here isn't quite over yet.
About 10 days ago I reported having ridden 2,400 miles this year.  Another 100 miles have rolled on by since then, so today I'll report passing the 2,500 mile mark.  It is a bit of a dilemma.  It seems like this year should be the worst mileage year ever -- and for a long time that seemed likely.  In 2004 my log says I rode 2,588 miles.  That is 87 more miles.  At first glance that seems like an impossible number to attain before the streets here turn white and icy.  But.... there's a shoulder season coming up.  Florida miles.  Last year I rode 102 miles in December, all of it in Florida (I think.)  A little bit of suspense emerges.  This could go down to the wire.  It doesn't look like I'll have any chances to ride this week until at least Friday -- seasonal busy-ness.  At this point there's no snow in the forecast by then, but things can change quickly this time of year.  Stay tuned.

1 comment:

BDE said...

I will. (Stay tuned.)