Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Pondering

Subtitle: What I Think About While Riding My Bike.   Numbers, quite a bit.  A lot of geometry issues come up.  The Pythagorean Theorem gets a regular work out -- and just how much is the square root of 2?  The rules of triangles in general, figuring out which route to take.  Also, lots of word problems -- time vs. distance, mostly variations on how much further, how much longer?  (We never outgrow "are we there yet?")

Bigger numbers.  I've ridden 149 fewer miles so far this year than I rode in total last year.  While I certainly won't ride that much in the next 10 days, I'm pretty sure that I could, given sufficient motivation (and a better bike.)  Even so, I will likely be within spitting distance, or at least shouting distance, of last year's total by the end of the month.  Which leads me to ponder these questions.  Given this year's obstacle course, what the heck happened last year?  And where did the phrase "spitting distance" come from, anyway?  It's gross.  And so it goes.  (Bench photo courtesy of a ride today on my Fuji Absolute.)

3 comments:

BDE said...

Great ponderings, great bench, and I love the picture of you. You look fit and like someone who ponders.

Retired Professor said...

BDE -- Merci! The bench series needed a little color.

Jimi said...

Who knew that aˆ2 + bˆ2 = cˆ2 could be such a comfort while riding and pondering. Good for you for staying in contact with your mathematical roots.

It's good to hear you're maintaining your exercise program.