Monday, June 25, 2012
Blooms of Summer
I think this is Queen Anne's Lace. I found quite a bit of it at the old bridge over the Pigeon River this afternoon. There was no sign of the Cardinal Flowers yet.
Tiger lilies, I believe. I found some along the edges of several ditches today, though these were in someone's yard, along Riley Street.
My next door neighbor says that the deer have been eating her tiger lilies along her bank, and informed me that they are also eating my zebra grass. Our neighborhood association is meeting in a couple of weeks to discuss what to do about the growing herd of deer up here. I predict that it will divide into two camps -- the Bambi camp, and the shoot them camp. The presence of deer ticks in the dune grass may tip the scales, but that's just a guess.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
I don't mean to disrespect the Bambi crowd, they mean well. Deer in the number that quite apparently are present where you live are pests.
Archery hunts are common in the park areas near here. I doubt that you have conditions suitable for an archery hunt.
Probably the approach with the best chance to suppress the deer population is high powered rifles in the hands of a very select and very carefully screened group of shooters.
I seriously doubt that your neighborhood meeting will produce a consensus in support of that plan.
On my walk with Lynne tonight, two deer walked down the road towards us -- yes, towards us -- before ambling into the woods. Way too tame.
I agree with your conclusion -- no consensus of any sort will be reached, much less one involving rifles. These things are pests, and are doing progressively more damage.
Maybe it could be a fund raiser (some people love the taste of venison). I am on the side of viewing them as pests, although I bet most of your neighbors see them that way by now. It doesn't mean they will agree to a plan involving rifles or bow and arrows.
nice nice
bold bold
Post a Comment