Friday, March 14, 2008

Fields and Streams

It was about 20 degrees warmer today than when I left on Monday's ride. Sunny and nearly 50 felt good today -- almost. Spring has made the most progress in areas where there is no shade. This blueberry field is on 160th and New Holland, and there isn't much snow here. There's no sign of new life in the bushes yet -- this is the usual winter red that distinguishes blueberry fields from all other kinds of fields. The bike paths are still a mess of rocks, sand, branches and melting snow. This ditch is next to the Bauerman farm. No sign of activity there yet, either.
The adjustment from summer riding to winter/spring temperatures is a hard one. It is mostly mental, as I have plenty of gear and am never really very cold. It is just a lot harder work to ride in the cold, and not quite as much fun. Still, I like being out there and watching winter recede. The crocuses should be making an appearance soon.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It looks a little dangerous on that path. I think that there will be more snow before winter gives up. Happy pi day. TT