Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Sappy

It was about 6 degrees warmer today than on Monday, and there was a little less wind. Slightly better riding conditions. I took the photo of these sugar maples on Monday's ride. I went back to the same spot along Ransom today, thinking that the bags might be fuller. Apparently the bags have been changed, as there was even less in them today. Still, rising sap is a sign that the trees think spring is on the way. And Mother Nature bats last. I rode a few miles beyond this point, but it was into a rising north wind, so after about 58 minutes and 10 seconds of riding out, I turned around. I hammered a little on the way back with a tailwind, and spent just 1 hour and 46 minutes riding. Rain yesterday, snow coming on Friday. Anybody know how long the sap keeps flowing?

1 comment:

Gino said...

There are no tailwinds. There are headwinds and times when you feel strong. But you knew that.

I believe the sap answer is that spring sap flow continues as long as the temperature continues to fall below freezing at night and rise above freezing in the daytime.