Temperature on departure, 49. Record low for the date. It was a nice ride, and I was home in time to watch the last hour and a half of today's stage. It remains interesting, but my attitude toward the tour has more than a touch of cynicism to it. And I remember Rasmussen falling, and falling, and getting back on and falling again during the individual time trial a few years back. So...

I spent most of the day just
hangin' out with the
SLO's. I noticed how dry the grass on the dune is -- there was a big fire south of here, near
Saugatuck last week. Kids with fireworks set the dune grass on fire. Lost a mile of dune vegetation and three houses. Scary.

I mostly leave the choice of vegetation on the dune to Mother Nature, though we paid for a bunch of expensive dune grass to be planted about 10 years ago. Wild grape vines are a scourge, smothering everything. The milkweed attracts butterflies, and this is their time of year. They are unwilling to pose, but my patience was rewarded today.

The vegetation traps sand with some help from the wind, and the fore dune grows. The bench is nearly buried in sand, and you can no longer see the water from it. Ride on.
2 comments:
Lovely vegetation.
When Rasmussen accelerated away from everyone else I said to TOPWLH, "He must be doping to be that much stronger than every other rider."
The new German kid suffered today. Perhaps because he is riding clean.
There is hope.
Nice monarch. He looks like a twin to some around here. We should do a DNA test to see.
A fire in the dune grass does sound scary. A little rain would help the scenario. TT
Post a Comment