It was as beautiful a morning as it ever gets here today. It is also Lynne's birthday. We spent the morning at the funeral of a colleague who retired two years ago. Funerals always have a profound effect on my mood -- and I find myself focused on petty stuff. Like when did they change 'the valley of the shadow of death' to something else? And 'I will fear no evil' to 'I will not be afraid?'

I did ride, eventually. It was afternoon and the winds were strong and gusty. An hour on the bike improved my mental health, however. And I found a piece of yard art to share with you, above. And bikey, to boot.

Okay, Gino. You have a real fair grounds where you are, for sure. But when it comes to county fairs, ours has all the right flavors. Plenty of 4-H buildings, etc. Today they were just starting to set up for the Ottawa County Fair that will start next Monday. I believe a few of my faithful readers have been to it. Perhaps even watched a horse race or a tractor pull at the Grandstand.

The gusty winds we had today began yesterday, late morning. All the Lake Michigan parks had their red flags flying, and all the local news stations were warning about rip currents. NW winds, 3 to 5 foot waves, the long NW fetch that sets up a strong undertow. Today's headline in the local paper, "Rescuers Look for Body of 10 Year Old Boy." It isn't a rescue mission any more, of course. And how in the H*** did a 10 year boy get in a position to die yesterday? Shadow of death, 2.
2 comments:
Hmm, I believe that several of your loyal readers were watching a demolition derby or some such cars-crashing-into-other-cars event. I remember being both underwhelmed and entertained. I did enjoy the county fair experience, however. A couple of your loyal readers will be visiting the Minnesota State Fair in late August. Now, that is a fair!
Hey, when is the GFR coming to visit the land of 10,000 lakes (and our home)?
BB
PS Soon Mr. Moohoo will be able to photograph me on your deck. I am SO looking forward to that time.
Sorry you didn't have more fun at the county fair. I am thinking I might visit your fair state (no pun intended) in early September. I know that's not optimal for your schedule, so maybe we can talk soon. SS
Post a Comment