Sunday, July 8, 2007

Numbers

I visited this scenic overlook yesterday, before I got caught up in the excitement of ripe blueberries. Notice that they are watering the bike racks. It is hot and windy today, with small craft advisories on the lake. So I will not be riding today. (Because it is hot and windy, not because I was planning to ride my bike in the lake.) It has been noted in other places that the biking season is 7 months long. April through October. And for the fully employed, that is probably true. I have been keeping pretty complete records since January of 2002, and my biking season -- defined as a month with more than 100 miles -- has varied from 11 months (in 2002 and 2003) to 6 months in 2004. So far this year only February has failed the 100 mile test. That having been said, I am about 60 miles short of being half way to my goal for 2007. As I look back over the years, the timing varies a fair amount for when I hit the half way point. My bike log has lots of strange info in it, so I looked at last year, and I believe Gino hit his half way point about July 18 last year. I was a long way behind him then, but I am even further behind him this year. Ah, who doesn't love a number to crunch? I try to remember the words of Hammer, however, and don't let the numbers own me. Just ride ---

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

By your definition of a biking season, I get in about one or two months a year, but even so I get close to 500 miles some years. Maybe there is another way to define the season by opportunities to cycle. Just wondering.

Why are they watering the bike racks? Just a crazy Michigan tradition? Or is it in response to some goofy request by the Moron family?

Anonymous said...

You are NOT required to use my definition... in fact, you should not use my definition. You should use the one that best describes your biking season. Clearly. SS

Anonymous said...

They are watering the bike racks just to annoy bikers. And your math seems a little suspicious to me. SS