There's an old story that Dad used to tell. It was short, thankfully, and went something like this. "Come forth, said the King. But I tripped over a camel turd and came in fifth." That, in a nutshell -- minus the camel turd part -- is how my 5K went this afternoon. I came in 5th of 10. (It occurs to me that nutshell is just another way of saying nut case.) The photo below is of what remained of my C25K group by the end of the program. I clearly had the coolest shoes. (Our coach is third from the right.)
It was still cold at noon when we gathered outside of the Dow Center at the college. My car said 39 degrees. The winds were less than 10 mph -- not much of a factor. It definitely helped to have previewed the course, though it was well marked at all the turns. I hit the first four lights on red, as I had anticipated. A water stop had been set up for us as we left the Window on the Waterfront park, a bit over half way. The first three runners -- and yes, they were clearly running -- covered the course in about 31 minutes. You might even be able to pick out which ones they were -- the youngest and fittest. The rest of us trailed in over time. There weren't many spectators, as you might expect. The cold might have had something to do with that -- a few family members and a few colleagues showed up to cheer on their favorites. I got a nice piece of paper with my time on it, although there was no recognition that I had won my age classification. I met all of my goals -- I finished, I didn't hurt myself and I didn't come in last. 41:44
14 comments:
I note that, as usually happens with our species, the introduction of competition has produced a substantial improvement in performance. A PR? 5th of 10 looks way good from here. I think I can pick out 10th more easily than first through third.
Clearly and definitely the best shoes with some competition there too. I like the blue top lady's purple highlights and purple laces as a clear second. Clear second as in way better than third, way not as good as first.
Blue top lady, white top lady and gray top lady were the top three. Blue top lady is Linda, she used to work in my department, back when I used to work. It was her first 5K, hadn't run since high school. The other two were taking the class for the third time, or so.
You think you know 10th place?
Gino -- That would be a definite YES to the PR. By quite a bit.
Grey (my preferred spelling) top lady and blue top lady both look like runners plus they both have the gear. White top lady has relative youth. Hope top lady, young enough to not be last. Green cap lady is younger still, I think not last. The next two? Pink out lady looks to me like she would not consent to be last and she looks younger than the mean age of the group, again I think not last. Slightly crazed looking magenta top lady at the end (is that magenta?) looks fit enough to not be last. For me it comes down to headphones lady and optic yellow jacket guy. I nominate headphones lady in a relatively close face off with optic yellow guy.
Fifth place in a personal best time is outstanding. The shoes are also commendable, and perhaps "smokin'".
I remember the "come forth" parable of the old guy, and I remember it as Daniel who tipped over the camel feces, but otherwise you used it correctly. It is handy that you came in fifth, even after tripping.
I'm guessing that the lady in pink came in 10th.
I predict a future in long distance running. Maybe not for you, but possibly blue top.
Spot on. She's a very nice lady, but she's struggled through the whole program. Still, she's been there every week and refused to give up.
Jimi, The four people between blue top lady and me (Green hat, optic yellow jacket, Pink out and Hope top) all came in at about 45 minutes, quite close together.
The "spot on" was for Gino's analysis. Headphones lady was 10th. I admire her grit.
Well, there's a reason why you actually have to run the distance. You can't mail in the results.
Knowing that those four finished together means that they spent most of the time together, supporting each other, developing a race personality, a group personality.
If you take them out and make them do it again one on one the results may vary. Obviously one on one isn't the way you actually do it.
Gino, Interesting analysis. Those four ran together quite a bit during our classes, as well. Race personality, group personality -- terms I don't think of when I think of running. I prefer to run the way I prefer to bike -- by myself.
Congratulations, good job! You are definitley number 1 in stylish footware, and I agree with Gino, blue top lady is a close second with her cool purple laces. Fifth is a great place to be with that kind of competition. I'd be happy with it.
PW
PW -- Thank you! Fifth is a much better finish than I expected. I assumed that all of that youth would trump my persistence, and am quite happy with the results.
Bravo on a personal best time!
Those shoes are, as we say in my family (and my family only, apparently), hondaramic.
I think my dad made that word up, so you'll have to ask him what it means. :-)
Emily -- Thank you! PR's are fun.
Hondaramic? Shoes should look fast.
Post a Comment