Monday, November 26, 2012

New Material

Thanks, fellow bloggers, for your suggestions.  Beaches, beeches, archives, never give up, and end of month round-up are all good topics.  I didn't mean to imply that I was giving up, just that I was out of material.  So today I had to round some up.  There have been a number of food posts this month, so the soup I made this morning fits right in.
A lot of leftovers went into the soup, but no turkey.  It's vegetarian -- carrots, celery, onion, garlic, tomatoes,  green bean casserole and sweet potatoes.  Used up the relish tray and a few other leftovers.   A big bowl of this with some peanut butter toast fueled a quest to find a beach, other than the one outside my door. (Which will likely appear at least one more time.)
The water levels are low here, too.  It's more pronounced on Lake Mac -- at least to my eye. This was my turn around spot, at the water -- just the way I like my exercise.  By the way, snow flurries.  Nothing like what TT and PW had in the piney north woods, but it is still too chilly for me to bike.  The roads are clear though, so it may still be a possibility.
I paused long enough to inspect this sign.  From a distance (the road) it looked like it said, NO DOGS, DOG ON LEASH.  That seemed confusing to me, so I had to bushwhack my way through the dune grass so that I could get close enough to see the arrows.  No dogs to the west, dog on leash to the east.  I am so confident of finishing out NaBloPoMo, that I used three of the 5 bloggable photos that I took today.
Late edit:  I was curious about how much soup I had for lunch today, so I checked and that is a 5" bowl.  (Diameter)  Since the volume of a sphere is 4/3 times pi times the radius cubed, and that bowl is about 1/3 of a sphere, that comes out to about 16 cubic inches.  Since we all know that one cup is 14.43 cubic inches, I ate a little bit more than a cup of soup for lunch.  Useful.

6 comments:

Jimi said...

That's a good looking bowl of soup. It's making me hungry.

That lake does look low. I guess we're all in a drought.

I'm pretty sure you'll make it through the month. There aren't that many days left.

Emily M said...

The dogs sign amuses me, particularly because it seems like it would be pretty hard to enforce.

I'll be in Michigan Wed-Fri this week for work... I'll wave in your general direction as I drive from Lansing to Cadillac and back again. I wish I had time to stop by and say hello!

Retired Professor said...

Me too!

The weather shouldn't be a hassle, so it looks good for travel.

Have fun blogging from MI for the last days of NaBloPoMo. I hope you have a stash of Calvin photos.

Mrs Smith said...

Two things: What was intriguing about the sign for me that it says no dogs (plural) in one direction but only one dog (singular) in the other. Now that would be really hard to enforce.
And as to the use of pi in answering your (really good) question, wouldn't it be easier to just fill that bowl with water and put it in a measuring cup? (Sorry, I do not like math.)

Gino said...

Although approximation of 1/3 sphere is probably right in the ball park, this seems to me to be a place where the better application would be volume of a cone.

V = 1/3 π times r (radius) squared times h (height of the cone).

You would then need to know the depth of the bowl (height of the cone) but that seems as easy to approximate as the 1/3 sphere approximation.

Santini said...

They're shallow bowls, using 2" for the height, that's about 13 cubic inches or a bit less than the 14.43 in a cup. The shape of a cone is a bit narrow on the bottom -- but it is a pretty good approximation.

Easy as pi. And no dirty (or wet) dishes. Didn't even enter the kitchen.